Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Good Americans Give Back to our Community in Election Day!!

  Public service, giving back, or simply being kind is essential to one's life. I believe in giving back to my community. Since becoming a Poll Official in Gwinnett County in 2011, I have had the opportunity to manage precincts on various Election Days, from the special to general elections in Gwinnett County. On many Election Days, I have worked extremely long hours—as many as 18 hours in some precincts. But the belief in giving back to this great land and this beautiful country gave me the energy to keep going because I know from deep down my heart I will contribute to the change we want to see in our community. And we, too, need to embrace the talent and contribution of our people and the challenges that await us.

Yesterday, I worked in a local precinct in Gwinnett from 6AM to 11PM, and that experience actually impacted me more than the time I spent at the poll. It was not about money or posting this cute photo, I was there to help bring the change I want to see in our community for the future generation. Each election time, I receive an email from the Gwinnett County Board of Elections asking if I am available to work at the polls as manager, as Assistant Manager, Clerk, worker, etc..… and I always make the time to volunteer. I am always happy to do it. Besides working 18 hours on Election Day, many hours of online and hands-on training are required, but it's worth it; another way to see the current technology and the evolution of electoral work in democratic territories—

And more importantly, coming from Haiti, it is great to see people peacefully engaged in the voting process. The entire day we had various numbers of voters. Many prominent American families walked through the doors, excited to cast their votes. They brought their kids from months old to teenagers, their brothers, old parents, and everyone in their family has been registered to vote except the little ones they voted, and we made sure their votes were counted. I need to find out their choices or political preferences. Still, I know they tried to educate their kids about the value of their rights of social duties and their legal responsibility as citizens. I could bring this knowledge back home one day.
Also, many great citizens took a moment to thank us for volunteering and being there at the polls to serve the community and facilitate democracy in our great land. Those kind words were heartfelt and great to hear from our citizens. They have made my world. Yes, Gwinnett county pays a small amount for the full day of service, but I will donate the full amount to my foundation, “The Global Paint for Charity (GPC).” I can use it, but this is the best way to spend money.

It was a great experience and honor to meet as many people as possible, from helping seniors properly cast their votes to managing a team of 7-9 Poll Officials to ensure the appropriateness, effectiveness, and immediate results of the election processes performed within a specific period. A few minutes after the polls closed at 7pm,  we could count the votes and post the results. This is so amazing!! It may be “Only in America,” but I will let you be the judge. Unlike in the United States, counting and publishing election results are not simple in some countries. Usually, it may take days, weeks, or in extreme cases, months before the election results are ready and can be posted. Too often in those countries, corruption and fraud affect vote counts to bring effective election results. Poor election results can even have the effect of a coup d'état, or corrupted leaders get elected. And we all know what could happen.

So I will continue advancing our entire community and our great land. God Bless America!!

Please forgive me in advance for any typographic errors and run-on sentences. If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to comment or email me at ronydelgarde@globalpaints.org. Have a great day, everyone!!

Rony Delgarde

No comments: